Thursday, September 9, 2010

Veggie Tales

Day 34

Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

That's sage advice from author and journalist Michael Pollan, passed down to my class by the chef currently teaching us about nutrition. Among his most famous works is "The Omnivore's Dilemma," which raises questions about why we eat the way we do. I'm sad to say the book is sitting on my shelf unread, but I plan to get to it as soon as I have time.

However, I recently rented "Food Inc.", a documentary that touches on both "The Omnivore's Dilemma" and Eric Schlosser's "Fast Food Nation" (another book on my to-read list). The movie is unsettling; it makes you take a deeper look at where and how your food is sourced. It should be required that every American watch this film.

We briefly discussed Pollan's research today during our second nutrition lecture, and I imagine we'll go into greater detail tomorrow when we cover sustainability. I wish it was something we covered more because people need to know what they're putting in their mouths so they can make better decisions.

Unsurprisingly, our recipes today were vegetarian: artichoke heart, fennel and watercress salad with grapefruit citronette and toasted walnuts; falafel; and roasted spaghetti squash with tomato caper sauce. Judging from everyone's empty plates after lunch, I think the meal was enjoyable.

I wish I was able to veg out and start Pollan's book tonight. Instead, I need to hit the books.

4 comments:

  1. His book and Food Inc. both changed food for me. Striving to be better every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to read that book too! I also agree that most people do not know where their food sources come from.....many in very dirty environments! Another thing for everyone to know is that "ALL" vegetables even though many may say that they are tripled washed and ready to eat.....must be washed at home thoroughly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good point about washing. I'll lend you the book when I'm done. :)

    ReplyDelete