Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Italian Job

Day 44

"Life is too short not to eat well."

That's the sign posted above the checkout area at Eataly, the 50,000-square-foot specialty Italian market in Manhattan's Flatiron District that I finally had a chance to roam. There are no words to describe this place besides "amazing." From the giant lobster mushrooms and the shelves of honey to the homemade pasta counter and the station dedicated solely to fresh mozzarella, Eataly is true perfection.

I ended up there this evening after a lousy day at school, hoping a glass of wine and some prosciutto di San Daniele with figs would put a smile on my face. It did. (So did the real dinner at Shake Shack afterwards.)

In regards to the not-so-good day, it started with a failed consomme. I did it incorrectly and had to start over. Embarrassing for me, but the chefs didn't seem to mind. "That's what we're here for," chef told me when I thanked him for his help. It was nice to hear, but I still felt like an idiot for messing it up.

C'est la vie, the French would say.

Either way, I get another shot at it tomorrow. Each student is making the same two dishes: consomme and the pork chops I made earlier this week. We have to complete four plates of both recipes at designated times. It should be interesting.

I'll think about it in the morning. Right now, I'm going to enjoy the Super Tuscan I purchased from Eataly's wine shop, watch a movie with Ryan and remind myself the weekend is near.

2 comments: