Monday, September 13, 2010

Say "Cheese!"

Day 36

Today was pretty damn near perfect.

It started with a cheese tasting and ended with meeting Anthony Bourdain and David Chang. Only a Shake Shack burger with the two chefs could have possibly made it better.

Prior to starting culinary school, a friend of mine sent me information about a panel discussion with Bourdain and Chang at the 92nd Street Y in Manhattan. I immediately purchased tickets online knowing full well the event would sell out. It did.

The two spoke candidly for 1 1/2 hours about their careers, what it means to be a chef, sustainability and, of course, food. During the last part of the discussion, the chefs answered questions that audience members wrote on notecards. I'm happy to report both Ryan and my questions surprisingly made it into the conversation.

While serious at times, the event was fun, casual and—most importantly—honest. That's what I love about them: They're not afraid to speak their minds, and they're definitely not trying to impress anyone.

Afterwards, I shamelessly purchased Bourdain's "Kitchen Confidential" (which I've already read but didn't own) and Chang's Momofuku cookbook, and I was able to get their autographs and snap some pictures. (Yes, I've met Bourdain once before, but who's counting?) I left with a smile as big as my stomach after some ramen and pork buns at Momofuku Noodle Bar.

Dairy was the big cheese in class today. We tasted varieties of cow, goat and sheep's milk, yogurt and cheese. Chef suggested we use a "spit cup" so we didn't have to swallow all the items but could still get a good taste. I didn't even pick it up; in other words, I ate everything.

Then, in a move reminiscent of egg day, I went home and made a cheese sandwich. It wasn't any ordinary sandwich, though, complete with Manchego, prosciutto, figs, jam, spicy honey mustard and arugula on ciabatta. Bring on the cheese, please.

Delicious, but I'm still thinking about my fictitious Shake Shack date...

1 comment:

  1. What could be a better day than the one you had...I cannot think of any! :) Especially having that great looking sandwich!

    ReplyDelete