Monday, October 4, 2010

Having a Boeuf

Day 51

Red meat has entered the building. Thank the Lord.

I'm tired of chicken. I'm sick of fish. I could live without pork chops for awhile. My body is craving a big chunk of beef.

So I was beyond thrilled to learn boeuf bourguignon was in the lineup this week. I was even happier that I started as saucier Monday, so I'd be one of the first to cook the dish. If I might say so myself, my partner and I made a kick-ass version. Seriously, it was awesome. We cooked it for two hours in the oven until the meat was super-tender and the red wine sauce thickened to the perfect consistency. I will be making boeuf bourguignon at home in the near future.

In addition, we also made chicken grandmother-style for what seems like the 40th time. I'm beginning to wonder if the school has stock in a poultry farm somewhere.

Cooking so much chicken has definitely made me feel a lot more confident about getting it right, though. I never used to brown the chicken in a saute pan before I threw it in the oven. It makes such a huge difference in the color, and the sauce that can be made from the sucs (the little brown bits in the saute pan) is delicious.

I might have chicken fatigue, but there is one form of poultry I'm craving: turkey. It's not any turkey, though—it's my mom's deep-fried Thanksgiving bird with all the accoutrements.

Turkey Day couldn't come any faster.

2 comments:

  1. You know that Julia Child has always been one of my favorite chef idols.....and I can honestly say that she would have been very proud of your bouef bourguignon (one of her top dishes to prepare) that you made in this class....Looks great! Wish I could have tasted it....I can actually taste how great it was by looking at the picture.....Bon Appetite'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. :) Maybe I'll make it during the holidays!

    ReplyDelete