Sunday, March 27, 2011

What a Lemon

There sure are a ton of lemons around New York these days. (I suppose you could take that several ways... )
I'm referring to the preserved kind, however. Recently, I've noticed a number of restaurants are including the item on their menus. Also, I received a recipe e-mail a couple weeks ago from Serious Eats for Farro, White Bean and Preserved Lemon Salad (I plan to try this at some point). I became even more intrigued when The New York Times launched its online "D.I.Y. Cooking Handbook," and included a how-to for preserved lemons.

I had to try it.
Preserved Lemons (courtesy of Paula Wolfert via The New York Times)

5-9 organic lemons, depending on the size of the jar
1 tablespoon kosher salt, as needed
2 bay leaves
1 heaping tablespoon black peppercorns

1. Sanitize a jar with a tight-fitting lid.

2. Scrub lemons and slice about five (or enough to fit in the jar) from the top to within 1/2-inch from the bottom, almost cutting them into quarters but leaving them attached on one end. Rub kosher salt over the cut surfaces, then reshape the fruit. Cover the bottom of the jar with kosher salt. Fit all cut lemons in, breaking them apart if necessary. Sprinkle salt on each layer.

3. Press the lemons down to release their juices. Add peppercorns and bay leaves. Squeeze additional lemons into the jar until juice covers everything.

4. Close the jar and let ripen at cool room temperature, shaking the jar every day for three to four weeks, or until the rinds are tender to the bite, then store it in the refrigerator.
Turns out, preserved lemons are a Moroccan tradition—they have been used for years in tagines. According to the article, the minced peel can top salads or seafood and pairs well with salmon, carrots, olives, parsley and potatoes; the brine is perfect for a bloody mary.

Check back in three to four weeks for an update. I hope the procedure isn't a lemon.

2 comments:

  1. I love just about anything lemon....you inspired me to try this recipe. I purchased 2 bags of organic lemons from Whole Foods the other day and was able to make 1 large jar and 3 smaller ones with them! It will be interesting on how they turn out! They do though look awful pretty sitting on my counter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you tried it out, too. We'll have to compare results. Hope it works!

    ReplyDelete