Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Pierogi Power

Days 115-117

Sometimes you just need a taste of home.

Last week when I wasn't feeling the greatest, I stopped by Veselka on the way home from school. I was too tired and too weak to cook, and I just wanted something comforting. The East Village restaurant, which has been around since the 1950s, serves up Ukranian food like borscht, kielbasa, goulash, stroganoff and pierogies. I ordered the latter, plus some chicken noodle soup. After all, what's more comforting than food you grew up eating?

Sadly, my taste buds were far from the ability to taste, so I had no idea if the food was good or bad. Either way, my craving for pierogies didn't fade. I decided that once I felt better, I would make them myself.

So I spent this past Sunday rolling dough, braising meat, mashing potatoes, and filling and folding the pierogies into half-moons. I made two types of stuffing and accompaniments: 1) veal cheeks topped with a wild mushroom ragu and horseradish creme fraiche and 2) potato cheddar topped with sweet sauerkraut. Both were amazing.

The dough is courtesy of my favorite chef, fellow Clevelander Michael Symon. Don't be surprised if the outcome is sticky; it will be. Also, give it time to rest (at least two hours or up to two days).

Pierogi Dough (courtesy of Michael Symon's Live to Cook)
1 large egg
3/4 cup sour cream
8 TB (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 TB fresh chives, chopped
1 tsp kosher salt
2 cups AP flour, plus more for rolling dough

Work the egg, sour cream, butter, chives and salt together by hand to form a dough. Don't worry if the mixture is not uniform—and don't overwork it. Pour flour onto a work surface and make a well in the center. Add the sour cream mixture and combine thoroughly with your hands until a dough forms. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate at least two hours.

Roll out the dough on a slightly floured work surface to 1/8-inch thickness and cut into 3-inch rounds. Spoon 1 TB of filling onto each round. Brush edges of dough with a small amount of water and then fold in half. Press edges with a fork to seal.

Cook in boiling salted water for about 4 minutes or until the pierogies float. Drain. When serving, heat butter in a large skillet until it froths. Add pierogies and cook until golden brown.
You can fill the pierogies with anything your heart desires. Make sure to have applesauce and sour cream (or creme fraiche, like I did) at hand for topping.

Na zdrowie!

1 comment:

  1. WOW...WOW...WOW!!!!! I am so impressed on the pierogi making. They looked awesome and I am positive they were delicious as well. I hope that Iron Chef Michael Symon somehow gets a heads up on your blog and sees this recipe of his made by a soon to be FCI graduate. Great job Melissa! :)

    ReplyDelete