Monday, December 20, 2010

Bug Off

Days 102-104

Slowly but surely, I'm feeling better.

I spent the majority of the weekend resting so that I would walk into class today revived. I'm not completely restored, but I do feel a helluva lot better than I did last week. Thank God for Z-Pak, muscle relaxants and 800 mg Motrin. Oh, and comfort food.

Yesterday, I made chicken paprikash with spaetzle—a family recipe that reminds me of my mom. I had hoped it would put a smile on my face. (It did.) It also put a smile on Ryan's; it's one of his favorite dishes. I knocked it out of the park. Of course, my mom's is still the best.

The decision to make the dish came to fruition after I inherited six chicken legs and six chicken thighs. On Friday, my chef allowed students to split up food that would likely spoil over the weekend. I jumped on the all-natural Murray's chicken as well as a freshly cooked (and killed) lobster. I'd say I fared well.

Friday marked the last day of garde manger; today, I re-entered poissonnier. I worked on the cod dish, which features chorizo, clams cooked in white wine, saffron potatoes and kale sauteed with garlic. Despite the fact that I'm somewhat turned off by cod (please refer to my Nov. 4 post about worms), the dish looks amazing. I'd like to try it at home with a different type of fish.

I'm gonna give it my all this four-day week. I know it's going to be a busy one, as people are in town for the holidays.

Time to spread some cheer.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the sweet compliments.....but I am sure your paprikash was just as good...if not better! The picture of it...is to die for! :)

    ReplyDelete