Tuesday, August 10, 2010

No Floundering Here

Day 13

Any night that ends with fried chicken has to be a good one.

I just walked in the door and, although I'll likely be paying for it in the a.m., I have to say it was worth it.

My friend has been obsessing over BonChon Chicken for what seems like a couple years. For some reason or another, we never got around to eating it together—until tonight. It all started with a good bottle of Chilean white wine and moved on to a variety by Trader Joe's own Charles Shaw. (Sorry wine snobs, but there's nothing wrong with a little 2 Buck Chuck.)

Before my friends and I knew it, we were ordering a bucket of Korean fried chicken from BonChon's Financial District outpost. Even after all the fried food this week, it was extremely difficult (and maybe impossible) to pass up the double-fried legs and wings.

I have to say that eating amazing, cheap food while hanging with your buddies on a rooftop late night (with a perfect view of the Chrysler Building and Brooklyn Bridge, nonetheless) is one of those quintessential New York moments. I love this city.

The get-together was a nice distraction after Fish Lesson No. 2. Today we filleted flat fish (flounder, to be exact), which proved to be a bit easier than the previous lesson's round fish butchering. Either way, it would be nice to know how much money you're actually saving by doing it yourself versus having a fishmonger provide you with the prepared cuts.

I think I'll pay a little extra for the labor.

My new partner and I made it through the lesson unscathed. Let me add that she rocked it today, even with her one-gloved, bandaged hand. (Please read the previous post if you want to find out what happened to her.)

Tomorrow is shellfish day, otherwise I would say: Give me back that filet-o-fish, give me that fish.

4 comments:

  1. We will need to go fishing for some great perch at the Lake sometime now that you are an expert at cleaning fish! We could put together one heck of Lake Erie Perch dinner! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep I sure do.....Actually we have two....one electric and the other is propane for outdoors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very impressed that you wrote this as soon as you got home on Tuesday night!

    ReplyDelete