Friday, July 23, 2010

It's French to Me

Day 1

I didn't lose any fingers, but I did gain some humility. Note to self: Remember to button up my chef jacket all the way, learn how to tie a neckerchief and don't slouch when I stand.

Oh, and quickly pick up francais.

We got right down to business the first day. After receiving our tool kits (which are awesome—and awesomely heavy), we broke them open and began chopping. It was at this point that I wished I'd studied French instead of Spanish. Emincer, ciseler, macedoine, brunoise, paysanne... it's all foreign to me. Must learn immediately.

On top of that, my knife skills could use some major work. I feel as slow as a snail. Hopefully, practice makes perfect. I'm going to be chopping up more carrots than Bugs Bunny eats until I get it right.

Perhaps the hardest part, though, was getting used to standing all day. Yes, I knew that was going to be part of it, and yes, I knew the kitchen would be hot as hell. But after sitting on my bum behind a computer all day for the last seven years, it's quite a change. I've obviously blocked the years I spent catering from my memory.

I better suck it up.

When I got home, I zonked out. For like three hours. I got up because, well, I had to eat dinner. Ryan and I celebrated at one of our favorite pizza joints in New York, Michael Angelo's in Astoria. We cheered my first day of culinary school over wine, calamari, a thin-crust Sophia Loren pie, and a special pasta dish (with pear ravioli, grapes and a creamy gorgonzola sauce). Limoncello was on the house.

Salute! Or, I should say, 'Sante!' I made it through the first day. Now I've gotta locate that French dictionary...

1 comment:

  1. Sooo excited for you, Melissa!! Wow!! I got lectured on my incorrectly tied neckerchief at FCI too! :) Hah!
    We are entering week 6 of our major kitchen rehaul. Can't wait til it's done (7 more weeks to go!) Unfortunately, my love of food and cooking hasn't been able to subside, and I have been doing dishes in our upstairs bathroom (cooking on a little 2 burner Teba unit with a mini oven). Miss you guys!! Know you will have to come visit;we can cook in our new kitchen while the boys talk shop! :)
    Loving your blog!

    ReplyDelete